The Kenya Maritime Authority( KMA) has partnered with the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) to set up the Maritime Education and Training Scheme (METS) to offer financing to students pursuing courses in the Maritime Sector being offered at Bandari Maritime Academy, Kenya Coast National Polytechnic, Kisumu Maritime Centre and other Maritime Training Institutions (METi) approved by Kenya Maritime Authority (KMA).
Scheme products and Eligible Students
Students enrolled in approved METI’s and are applying for the first student loan.
Applicants must be pursuing Craft certificate and Diploma in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering
2. Proficiency: STCW Courses
Applicants must have completed certificates or diploma in approved METI approved by KMA
Applicants must have relevant sea experience.
Certificate of Competency courses Applicants must have a letter of eligibility from Kenya Maritime Authority.
How To Apply
1.Applicants should visit the HELB website www.helb. co.ke to access the HELB Students’ Portal to register create and activate account (ensure you use your personal mobile number registered under your name and ID Number)
2.Log in, and click Loan Application, click Certificate or Diploma and select and fill one of the three forms below that is applicable to the course you are pursuing:
a. Maritime Education and Training Scheme Academic Application Form.
b. Maritime Education and Training Scheme -Proficiency Application Form.
c. Maritime Education and Training Scheme Competency Application Form.
3. Read and appraise yourself online on Financial Literacy and appreciate the purpose on the Consent for The Collection and Processing of Personal Data.
4. Access and fill the Scheme application form online.
5. Print Two copies of the duly filled Scheme Application Form. Ensure you preview the form and correct where necessary before you submit for printing.
6. Have the forms appropriately filled, signed, and stamped by the relevant authorities. The Guide is provided on the last page of the form.
7. Read, understand and sign to accept the Terms and Conditions and Data Protection Consent form .
8. Present one copy of the duly filled Loan Application Form and all the attached support documents at:
a. Any of the following Huduma centers nearest to you: Nairobi-GP0, Machakos, Mombasa, Nakuru, Eldoret, Kisumu, Kakamega, Kisii, Nyeri, Embu, Kitui, Bungoma, Lodwar, Meru, Thika, Kitale, Kericho, Nandi, Murang’a, Garissa, Narok, Migori, Chuka, Kilifi and Taita Taveta, West Pokot, Bomet and Makueni for free and secure delivery, OR
b. HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi,
c. Send through registered and secured mail or courier. Retain a copy of the duly filled and signed Loan Application Form [This is mandatory]
At later dates, you will receive notifications on receipt and verification of application, award and disbursements of the tuition loans.
#KaaChonjo Do not be conned. The Application is Free. In case of any queries seek assistance from only HELB or Kenya Maritime Authority Officers.